Baby Steps: Bits And Pieces Of My Weekend

Having your current girlfriend and ex together in the same room is not as awkward as most people think.I’m not sure why it’s so unpleasant for most people, but I think a lot of it has to do with the depth of the relationships, the personality and characteristics of the women and the luck factor of the person linking them together. In this instance, that individual would be me.

The first time they met it was like they already knew each other for a long time. They had known of each other for quite some time, even talked on the phone two or three times over the past 6 years, but neither knew what to expect of the other. It was clear that they had a lot in common, and conversation flowed easy whether it was forced or not. They gotalong better than I could have imagined. The truth is, I didn’t know what to expect before embarking on this adventure. What I do know is that I have made a huge decision that will greatly impact my life, my girlfriend’s life, my family’s life and especially that of my ex-girlfriend and her immediate family. It’s the kind of decision one makes that brings people and families closer together, but whatever hang ups are in the way must be dealt with and addressed head on before things can go any further.

I won’t got into too much detail about the first and second time they met, but I will say that the fact that the girls have so much in common has been a welcome retreat, and the positivity they’ve displayed has further reinforced the notion, at least for me, that absolutely anything is possible.  And, yes, I know I’m being vague as fuck, but that’s purposeful for now.

I don’t even know what to say about this weekend except that I was tired for most of it, and it went very well. It was at times amazing and at other times completely exhausting. I was running on empty, suffering from severe lack of sleep, and I still have no idea how I managed to get anything of note accomplished considering my brain felt like a bag of mush, for lack of a better word. A handful of multi-vitamins early Sunday morning was my somewhat successful last-ditch attempt to energize my body’s core before beginning the workweek. I’m still feeling a tad sluggish today, but my mood couldn’t be any better considering.

The Rundown

Friday night:

  • I’m lounging on the couch with my girlfriend watching late night television.
  • My best friend Q calls at around 11p.m. She wants to come over and chill. Her husband got on her nerves so she wanted to get away for a few hours. 

Saturday night:

  • Q comes through around 12:30am – lots of girl talk between my best friend and girlfriend as I tried to keep from dozing off on the couch. At some point, I sat upright and Q and I chatted the rest of the early morning away. She left at around 4:30am. 
  • Baby and I try to catch some z’s but can only manage about 2.5 hours of sleep as daylight has descended upon the city.  The day is looking fair and bright even though I am clearly lacking the necessary sleep to keep myself sharp the remainder of the day. Oh well.
  • Needless to say, I was still somewhat physically exhausted, yet my mind wanted my body to firmly believe that it was well rested and refreshed. Meanwhile, I was sleepy as hell. 
  • Morning consisted of a small breakfast and herbal tea.
  • I got some writing done for a short story series I’m collaborating on with Alix, a fellow blogger. 
  • Kisses and hugs showered on me by the girlfriend in between sips of tea and mental grinding.
  • I read some e-mails by afternoon, one in particular from my pregnant ex-girlfriend whom we’ll call Peanut.
  • She e-mailed me to let me know she was in downtown Chicago at one of the colleges and planned to stop by the condo when her session let out. I let the Baby know Peanut’s plans and she cleaned up a little in preparation while I wrote.
  • Talked to Baby a little about Peanut coming over since I knew this would only be the third time, and I wanted to double check to ensure that she was cool with everything. She said she was. And yes, I know, it takes a special kind of woman to say yes to something like that, but this is me we’re talking about.
  • Peanut showed up and I was supposed to take her grocery shopping, but I was on a roll and didn’t want to stop writing yet so she chilled for a while. At 6 months pregnant, her belly was/is like… whoa… stuck out like a misshapen torpedo. The little munchkin growing inside is beginning to kick and move around all the time. 
  • Peanut and Baby talked for a while as Peanut watched the 2nd season of True Blood. Baby played games on the computer in between and I… did more writing.
  • Baby got a call from our mutual friend Courtney. She wanted to go to the waterfront café to drink, eat and gossip about her recent travels. I declined and stayed at the crib while I continued to… you guessed it, write some more.
  • The weather started to look a little gloomy (bummer!) so Courtney and Baby decided to head to our favorite indoor Bar and Grill instead where they would eat and drink a little something-something.
  • In the mean time, Peanut was chillin’ on the sofa and eventually we both were starving. Baby had already left and I was ’bout ready to eat a horse, so I did something I’ve been doing a lot of lately… cooked.
  • I made salmon, spinach and rice. We gobbled it up like a couple of famished turkey’s. 
  • I asked Peanut to be a little patient about going to the store because I was putting the finishing touches on my story. She was cool. I continued writing until Baby stumbled home saying how drunk she wasn’t. 
  • A little more of the herbal tea and I was relaxed even though I’d been sitting on my ass the entire day. I felt good… and tired.
  • Baby was cool though, she only had a double pint…  she claims, so we were all relaxed and everyone was on chill mode.
  • My mom called late that night because I was supposed to drop off a package earlier that day. Oops, I genuinely forgot. I didn’t make it out to the suburbs and wasn’t planning to at that point. Ever been so tired you may as well been drunk? That was I. Lack of sleep had exhausted me.
  • My Mom was NOT feeling that answer. I told her I was working on a deadline. Only after accusing me of being irresponsible for not rescheduling earlier did she have the nerve to ask me if I was on drugs because I sounded drunk, although I hadn’t drank a lick of alcohol all day. I really had to give my mom the cold shoulder through the phone. I basically told her “if sleep was a drug I was in need of an overdose.”
  • I ended the call and went back into the living room where the girls were watching TV and recanting back episodes of True Blood.
  • We all talked candidly and got some things out in the open. I checked the time and realized that it had gotten way late, however I completed my writing well before the deadline. 
  • We laughed and joked awhile and they teased me for being… well… me. When I’m sleepy, my silly mood and goofy antics go beyond the ridiculous, but only when I’m around those I love.
  • Later that night I told Peanut that I was in no position to drive anyone anywhere. She agreed.
  • She was too cool and agreed to spend the night at our place. I made her a nice, comfy bed on the sofa so she could get a good night’s rest. Baby gathered the pillows, sheets and comforter and they both put me to work making it up.  Peanut didn’t have any pajamas so Baby found an old pair of jogging pants and one of my plain white tee’s for her to sleep in.
  • After Baby turned in I made sure Peanut was comfortable on the sofa before following suit.
  • Finally, I crawled into bed with Baby and spooned my ass to sleep.

Things to note: After an exhausting Friday to Saturday at which point I incorporated 2 and a half hours of sleep, at the most, into the 24 hour time period, I was awakened to the smell of scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, and toast. Mmmm… my taste buds were awakening along with the rest of my senses. I heard Baby call out, “breakfast in 5 minutes.” Ok, cool, I thought. I could see the light from outside straining to reach into the bedroom window, and I was satisfied with the fact that I must have gotten a good night sleep to be this wide awake. After all, my eyes wouldn’t have been wide open if I hadn’t, right?

I rolled out of bed and dragged myself into the living room to find Peanut lying across the sofa bed. That’s when Baby walked in with plates of food heaped high. She set them on the dining room table. Breakfast looked great, but something was just not right. Something was out of place, but I couldn’t put my finger on it yet. Suddenly, I glanced over at the clock face staring at me from against the wall and low and behold it was only 7:30 in the morning… on a Sunday… and I was wide the fuck awake…

Unbelievable. Although it turned out to be a great start to an even better day.




One Response to “Baby Steps: Bits And Pieces Of My Weekend”
  1. Mellogyrl says:

    I'm sure you're happy that they both get along and your adventure turned out fine. But just keep your boundaries in mind…

Speak Your Mind

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!